Friday, May 15, 2009

I'm Committed

This week I signed the membership book at the Unitarian Univeralist congregation I have been going to for over 2 years. I am officially a member. I really like the people who go there. I never thought I'd join a church, before I went to a UU church (aka congregation). I grew up Seventh-day Adventist, a pretty conservative Christian church, along with going to their church schools. It's not just going to their church and forgetting about it the rest of the week. It's a whole lifestyle. It probably was good that my dad joined the church when he did, he was drinking and drugging way back then.

Then I was Muslim for a few years. I really don't know what I believe, but I don't believe in Christianity. I'm pretty much agnostic. I thought all churches talked about Jesus and being saved. I didn't want to go to a place like that. I know there are people who believe that. That's great for them. But not for me. If you think I'm going to hell because of it, then great. I just don't need to hear it. Keep those kinds of opinions to yourself, and I'll keep mine to myself of your beliefs.

What do Unitarian Univeralists believe? Here's some info from the Unitarian Univeralist Association Website

There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

They are accepting of everyone, no matter your belief or your lifestyle. Unitarian Univeralists are very non-judgmental and accepting.

A.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Yasemin said...

I'm so happy for you Anisa! I'm going to look at my options as well, as I don't have a home congregation. I like the Unitarian beliefs and am interested in learning more. I remember noticing that with my Turkish friends dialogue meetings, Unitarians were the only ones who seemed peaceful, non-threatening, and believing in REAL interfaith dialogue. Love you sweetie!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Nice to read some of your story! I am looking into UU myself, and I guess I have a similar background to you. I didn't convert to Islam but I was very into it for a while.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Anisah said...

I think one of the reason for that is because we're not trying to push our beliefs on others. There are no certain UU beliefs. It's more of a humanistic lifestyle.

My name was Lisa before I changed it after I became Muslim.

Thanks for visiting!

Anisah

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home