Saturday, April 18, 2009

Haven't posted in a while

This past week I started training to work for the census. It takes 2 years, total, to get everything done for the census. And they don't even send out the forms until next year! We are just updating the maps and making sure we have all residences on the address list, so everyone gets a form. Whoever doesn't send it back, will get a visit from a census worker. Hopefully I can get some work next year too. We'll see. This isn't the job I mentioned before about possibly getting. This is about a 2 month job working for the US Census.

Thursday we worked in groups of 3 or 4, and yesterday afternoon we all worked alone for the first time. It took me a while to find the area, those darn subdivision areas. And people, come on. Put your house number on or around your house! I need to get some good shoes this weekend. My area is rural, so I will not be walking from house to house, in some areas at least. Others I will, so I better get prepared. We have hand held computers with maps in them, plus gps. We get paid for our mileage, and time going to work and coming back. The pay is pretty good too.

I hope I can work for a couple of months so I can get caught up on my bills, and maybe take a summer class. We have to take privacy very seriously, we could get a huge fine and go to prison for divulging information about any of the houses we go to. The census doesn't share any info with any other government agency either.

Last week was spring break. We went to the library a lot, and slept late. Not much to do at home without cable or internet.

I'm enjoying the nice weather. I went to the park with my 5 yo on Wednesday. I had fun swinging, it relaxed me a bit. I need to get in better shape. Hopefully the walking for work will help.

After I get off the internet, I'm going to relax today. I bought a bunch of books at a rummage sale this morning, and I'm going read today. I haven't worked full-time in a long time. I tried to go to bed at 10 last night, but my dad called at 10 and we got to talking. I almost fell asleep on the phone I was so tired.

A.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Yasemin said...

I'm really interested in your Census job. It sounds like a great, great way to put yourself out there and get into an eventual state or federal position. I just wish it was longer than 2 months.

Is it at all dangerous though? That would be my only concern. Other than that, I'm interested to hear your findings!

Love you and glad to see all of you having fun and enjoying the spring weather.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Anisah said...

It's not dangerous in this area. It probably would be in cities like Detroit. We don't work in the dark, only daytime hours. People in this area are really nice.

Anisah

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home