Monday, March 16, 2009

What do I want to be when I grow up?

I took the assessment test last week. It's not an entrance exam, but a way to assess if you need to take basic english or math courses. I did well, and don't have to take any basic classes.

Last week in our class we took the Kuder Career Planning tests, at www.Kuder.com. It assesses your interest and skills in various areas of employment, and helps give you an idea of what kind of work may fit you. Anyone can take it online, but it does cost if you do it on your own. You may be able to take it through a local college for free. We did, so it was.

This week I have an appointment with a career counselor to go over my results, so I can figure out what I want to be when I grow up. You can find out information about different jobs on the Kuder web site to find out what skills you need to be successful in that job, what kind of pay you can find in the part of the country you are in, and what the job prospects are. You don't want to study something and find out when you finish that there are few or no jobs.

My lowest interest and skills were in Sales and Management. That didn't surprise me. It did surprise me that Outdoor/Mechanical were higher than that. I have no skills in that area and no interest either.

It showed my highest interests were Science and technical, and Business Operations. I'm not really interested in Science as a career, even though I love learning about Science. I am good with computers though.

My highest skill was in Social/Personal Services. I am good dealing with people. I enjoy talking with them and helping them.

I'll see what the career counselor says tomorrow about my results. They don't tell you what to do, they help guide you to what would be a good fit for you, depending on your goals, what education is available, etc.

A.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger jazain said...

wow anisah..outdoors and mechanical?? lol. i thought that bit was funny.

but thats great that there are counselors and testing to help you decide such a thing. where were those when i went to school years ago.

what an exciting time in your life...you can be anything you want to.

i cant wait to see what you decide.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home