Tuesday, February 17, 2009

One step at a time towards College

I am determined to start college, even if it's just taking one class this year. I have loans I have to get out of default, not sure if it will be in time to get a full load in the fall or not. I am planning on taking a course in the Spring and pay for it. I took about 1 1/2 years of a 2 1/2 course on Court Reporting about 20 years ago. I don't want to take that again though. I took 3 classes in Graphic Design 7 years ago, but then my SO got laid off, then left, which left me SOL. They were graphic design courses, not general courses that can transfer.

Tonight I went to a Financial Aid Workshop. I can't get any Federal or State Aid, even grants, until I make 6 months of continuous, on time payments on my loans. I am going to call them this week and try to set up payments this month. I applied for some scholarships, and am not sure if I can get any with my loans in default. I hope telling them I am getting them out of default helps my position, or else I will probably just be taking one class in the fall. That's all I can afford to pay for at one time. But I should be able to take more classes in January of 2010.

I'm still not exactly sure what I want to take in college. I like too many things. But I have some ideas, and will talk to a counselor at college about it. I am good with computers and people. I also am a big bookworm. So I'll see if I can figure out what I can be good at, and get a job at as well.

I have to take the placement test to see if I need to take any remedial courses. I shouldn't, unless it's Algebra. I was going to college 7 years ago, and passed the assessment test, even the Algebra section.

It's a community college, but those are a better way to start an education. They are cheaper than 4 year colleges, but still give you a good education. They will counsel you in what courses to take that will transfer. There are a couple of colleges that have local campuses you can transfer to for a Bachelors Degree.

I registered for a free class at college: College Essentials, a college guide for adult students. It's a 6 or 8 week, once a week, course. Once you finish it, you get a voucher for a credit hour at the college.

A, college-bound or bust!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Yasemin said...

Anisah,

Hope it all goes well for you! I just got a call from my loan officer asking me to up my minimum payment to $400 a month. It's a little unaffordable. I think it's smart to go the community college route. The 4 year ones like UT expect a lot more and give preferential treatment to full-time students it seems. I'll be interested to hear what you want to study!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Anisah said...

Wow, $400 is a lot of money! What was your major?

9:12 PM  
Blogger Saaleha said...

Good for you. You go girl!!

5:15 AM  
Blogger jazain said...

anisah thats great!! its hard to go back to school after a while. i need to honestly. just havent had the gumption. maybe its me, but it just seems that there is so much to do just to get back into school that at times it seems daunting.

anyway best of luck to you.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Anisah said...

Thanks for the support! It is a lot to do for me because I have loans from years ago that I need to pay on to get out of default. I qualify for lots of grants and things. That's the nice thing about being poor lol.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol you already know how i proud i am of you girlie, lol but i wanted to give you another reminder... loves and hugs

10:33 PM  
Blogger Anisah said...

Thanks Missa! I'm gonna come to your graduation, and hope you can do the same for me!

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home