Thursday, February 26, 2009

More Steps Towards College!

Well have done more steps toward college. I just sent off for my GED to be sent to the college. I also sent off for transcripts to be sent there from a college where I took 3 classes in NJ. They were graphic design courses, but I hope I can use at least one.

Biggest step is that I set up a payment plan toward my student loans (and made my first payment). I went to school for Court Reporting about 20 years ago. I didn't finish, and didn't make arrangements on my loans, so they defaulted. I am eligible for a Rehab program. After 9 months of timely payments, the loans go out of default. I can get government and state grants after 6 months of payments, which means I should be able to get some $ for the fall semester. At first they said I had to pay 10% down! I wasn't dealing with the government, they sent it to a collections agency. I told them that's more $ than I have coming in in a month! So we talked a bit and worked some things out. I got the down payment totally taken off. I have 6 monthly payments I have afford. 1 down, 5 to go!

I enjoyed my class last Monday. And I wasn't the oldest in there! It's nice to be in a class with people not only my own age, but some older than me! The class is to help us get registered in school. Going through the various processes to be able to get enrolled. And more than one person in the class already has a degree. So it's not just for people who haven't finished college. Some people want to go back and get a different degree or certificate.

My next step is to take the assessment test at the college. It's not for a grade or anything. They want to see where you are in English, Writing, and Math to see if you need to take any basic courses before you start the college credit courses. I think I'll be ok with those, but you can retake a section or all if you need to.

Hardest thing for me is to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Do I hafta grow up? Some days I wish I didn't! I want to take Paralegal, but they don't have it there. There's not really anything I want to take there that can get me a job after 2 years. I'll talk to an advisor at the college and see what we can come up with.

Peace.

A, college or bust!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger PM said...

Anisah,

I started university at the age of 30 as a divorced single mom with 2 children and no child support regularly coming in. I spent the next 10 years on my BA, MA and PhD and am now faculty at an international branch campus of my university.

It wasn't easy and I was always struggling to put together the finances but the example it set for my kids to see their mom taking steps to improve her life (and consequently their lives) was invaluable, Those times are some of the happiest and we discuss that frequently (especially since they are grown and married now).

I admire you in taking this step and am excited for you!

Best Regards,
PM

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I also took the final steps in my application process for college. I am going back after a 3 year absence. I too am going to do a 2 year degree, but at a 4 year college though and I will be bringing my daughter with me and put her in daycare. I hope everything works out, how have you been feeling about going back? Are you nervous like me? It's great that you are going to do this though- hopefully by the time we are both done the economy will have turned around.

Here's to a great college experience for the both of us!

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home