Sunday, November 16, 2008

Interesting movies I've seen recently

Ya I like blockbusters and big name movies, but I also like to watch foreign movies and other movies that make you think.

Arranged

    Centers on the friendship between an Orthodox Jewish woman and a Muslim woman who meet as first-year teachers at a public school in Brooklyn. Over the course of the year they learn they share much in common - not least of which is that they are both going through the process of arranged marriages.

I really liked this movie. It wasn't a big budget film or anything, and I didn't know any of the actors in it. But the friendship between the women seemed genuine, and it showed some clashes (not fights) between each of them in the other's culture. It was loosely based on the experience of the executive producer of the movie.

Paradise Now

    The story places two close friends, Palestinians Said and Khaled, recruited by an extremist group to perpetrate a terrorist attack in Tel-Aviv, blowing up themselves. However, things go wrong and both friends must separate in the border. One of them, maintaining in his purpose of carry the attack to the end, and the other will have his doubts about it

This film was in Arabic with English subtitles. It is a very sensitive subject. I don't agree with suicide bombers at all. But this movie wasn't about someone doing something and getting glory or going to heaven for it. It showed how these 2 men felt knowing what they were going to do. They would never see their families again. It made me wonder if people who do the bombings have reservations or ever change their minds.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Her Artichoke Heart said...

Glad I read your review of those films -- I'm going to put them in my Netflix queue! I remember reading a good review of "Arranged" when it was out in the theaters.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Adventurous Ammena said...

Wow.. I saw paradise now in a preview in Canada.. it was amazing.. Of course I still hate the 'muslim suicide bombers' stereotype as I dont believe you can be muslim and do this.. its against our religion.. but whatever!! I thought it was a very powerful film so thanks for reminding me about it :D

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home