Saturday, May 13, 2006

Introduction

About me...if you don't know me, I'm a single mom living with 3 kids in Michigan. I'm originally from Kansas. I grew up there and moved to Nebraska when I started high school. I moved back there a few years later, then moved to NJ in 1993. I have also lived in a couple other states: South Dakota, New York (not in the city!), New Jersey, and of course Michigan. I moved to Michigan in Nov. 2005, but also lived here for a year in 1995/1996. I lived overseas for a year and a half (1999-2000), in Amman, Jordan.

I grew up in the Seventh-day Adventist Church, but stopped going after high school (yep I went to the church schools too). In fact all my family kinda drifted away.

In 1992 I became Muslim, and practiced until about 2004, though I still considered myself Muslim till late 2005. More on my thoughts on Islam later. I was married to several Muslim men, who really weren't practicing much. I'm still legally married, though I haven't seen him in 3 1/2 years. I've lived here 6 months as of last week, so I can file for divorce. I pretty much consider myself Unitarian, and when I have a car I want to go to a Unitarian church.

I have 4 children, 3 of which are living with me. My oldest lives, who will be 17 in August, lives with her dad in the Midwest. She went to live with him when she was 6. My 3 younger kids are living with me: my son Mustafa age 11 finishing up 6th grade, my daughter Nabilah who will be 10 in June, she's in 3rd grade, and my son Ibrahim (nickname: Ibi) who will be 3 in June too, boy how time flies!

Mustafa and Nabilah'ss father is originally from Egypt and living in NJ. He is not very good at keeping in touch with them or paying child support. He's 6 weeks late now and not answering my phone calls. My youngest's father is Palestinian and went back to Jordan when I was pregnant. He came back several times for job interviews but never saw Ibi. He never supported his son.

I moved to Michigan from NJ in Nov. 2005 because I have family here and the cost of living is MUCH less than in NJ. Now I live about 20 minutes from family. Which is kinda good cause sometimes we don't get along lol. She's my older very bossy sister!

My Hobbies: Genealogy, Reading, Cats, Graphic Design using Paint Shop Pro, and more reading!

OK well I'll write more on my thoughts later. This is just an introduction to my life and times.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so what does a Unitatrian believe in?---Mongo

8:50 PM  
Blogger Anisah said...

Mongo, Unitarian Universalism doesn't hold to any certain "creed" as such, and believes that there is no religious authority (except yourself). Their principles are:

* The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
* Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
* Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
* A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
* The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
* The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
* Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

I think it speaks to me because it's not trying to tell someone what you have to do (or not to do) to get to heaven or telling someone else because they are not doing something (or are doing something else) that they are going to go to hell. It is accepting of everyone's beliefs, with no "right" or "wrong" belief. Someone can be any other religion and be a Unitarian. I am new to it, so this is how I see it. This is how I want to raise my children, as accepting of everyone and their beliefs.

You can read more about it on their web site:
http://www.uua.org/aboutuua/

Anisah

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home